Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Salt Dough Ornament FHE

Salt Dough Ornaments
1 C salt
4 C flour
2 C water
Adjust flour and water as needed to create cookie dough like consistency. Roll out and use holiday cookie cutters to create designs. Use straw or the likes to create hole for ornament string. Lay on plate and microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to harden. Decorate with glitter, markers, paints, stickers. Allow to dry. Thread with string and hang on Christmas tree.
****For those really ambitious crafters add food coloring to different segments of dough and you can sculpt your own designs.

This has been a fun tradition my mom used to do with us when we were little. This year we used alphabet cutters, stars, bears, flowers, and hearts. It was an interesting concoction. The girls LOVED it and I think Nate was having just as much fun!

3 comments:

Natalie Ropelato said...

Looks like you guys had fun making these. Thanks for the recipe and idea, my kids will love doing this. I have 3 little Christmas trees that I've always wanted to decorate but haven't got ornaments for them, this would be perfect for that.

Holly said...

Looks like lots of fun. My boys and I did a few gingerbread themed activities this week including making this gingerbread playdough. I thought your girls might have fun with it too. We miss those little cuties!

Gingerbread Play-Dough

1 Cup flour
1/2 Cup salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup water
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 ½ tsp. each of : Cinnamon, Allspice, Ginger, and Ground Cloves

DIRECTIONS--
1. Mix the dry ingredients. Experiment with the spices until you get
a scent and color that you like.
2. Mix water and oil together first and then add them to the dry ingredients
and stir.
3. In a pot, cook the mixture for three to five minutes on low/medium, stirring
constantly.
4. The dough will start to pull away from the sides of the pot and
stick together in a large ball. I take it out of the pan when I see a VERY faint
brown skin on the dough one each side when I flip it.
5. Take the dough out of the pan and knead the dough until it becomes soft
and smooth.
6. Allow the dough to cool and then store it in an airtight container.

Total time to make dough: 10 minutes. This is a very quick and easy recipe and the dough turns out great! 1 batch makes enough for two kiddos to enjoy.

Nanci said...

One year when I was little my mom decorated our entire tree with the salt dough ornaments. We loved it. The next year the mice found the ornaments.